Wednesday, April 2, 2014

The Spice of Life

As I approached 40 weeks, I was convinced baby wasn't going to arrive for at least another week.  They told us the average first time mom goes 10 days overdue, so I just prepared for that circumstance.  I felt like my pre-labor symptoms were diminishing instead of increasing so physically it felt like baby would hold out a bit longer.  I told myself and everyone else I was shooting for March 14 because I thought Pi Day would be an awesome birthday.

I went to my 40 week prenatal appointment by myself.  My husband usually came to appointments with me, but missed this one because he flew to Utah for the day to attend his best friend's wedding.  I convinced him the baby wasn't going to come on the due date and I was right.  Once he was home, mentally I let go and thought "OK, we're set.  It can happen any time now."  The mind has a lot more to do with when labor starts than a lot of people give credit.  

The next day I decided I needed to walk because I hadn't been very active my last trimester and it would be good for my circulation.  I made plans with a friend to go get ice cream in the afternoon while my husband was at work.  We slowly walked around the Highland neighborhood near downtown.  Then we went and picked up my husband when we was home from work and went out to eat at a local pizzeria.  

An hour after we got home, my water broke.

Two hours later, my contractions began in earnest. 

After about four hours of laboring at home, I slipped unknowingly into transition.   I threw up my pizza and my husband called the midwife concerned about my hydration.  She told him to bring me in immediately. 

Twenty minutes later, we arrived to the birth center.  I was checked and I believe the midwife's exact words were "your cervix is gone".  I could start pushing. 

Just under two hours and many pushes later, we introduced our baby girl to the world.


Birthing a human was the hardest thing I've ever done.  I love my baby and I'm glad she's with us, but it was not enjoyable getting her here.  I didn't have any complications or anything during labor and delivery, quite the contrary, but dang if it didn't take every ounce of fortitude I had to stick it out.  However, I don't regret any of my birth experience.  While it hurt, at the same time I felt empowered afterward in a way I've never felt before.  I know I'm tougher than I used to be, and that's worth a lot.

We took a few days to settle on her name.  I still mostly call her Baby because I call all babies "Baby", just like I call all cats "Kitty" and all dogs "Pooch", but legally she is Pepper Lee.  Now, enjoy our obsession: 

Heading home.  Those clothes did not fit at all.  The hat kept falling over her eyes

One day

Two days

Baby's first staring contest.  She won.

5 days. First family picture.  It just sort of slipped our mind to do one any sooner.

First shower

Almost 2 weeks
3 weeks.  Don't be fooled by Blue Steel.  It means she's filling a diaper.


Shout out to follower Sarah who correctly identified the book (Anne's House of Dreams) alluded to in the previous post.  Honorable mentions to Lara and Benji for correctly associating it with Anne Shirley.

1 comment:

Mommalutay said...

Congrats! She is Beautiful. Her name is adorable! I love everything about her.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...