Friday, October 16, 2009

Identifiably me

Today I had an experience I haven't had since coming to college. Walking to class from work with a coworker today I passed by an apartment complex. Two guys come walking and talking out of the complex area as we passed by. Suddenly from behind me I hear someone say "Hey are you a Lee?" I quickly turn around and stare bewilderingly.

"Yeah. What are you?" I ask. I didn't recognize him, but if this kid knows my family he has to be from some family I know, and if he called me a Lee me MUST be from Idaho.

"My name is Caleb ([?] I think it was Caleb; it was a quick interaction and I'm not good with names). I'm a Knight."

"Ah! OK," I reply with understanding. I don't know this kid but I was right, I do know the family.

"Wow, you guys all look alike. I knew you must have been a Lee," he says. We exchange a few civilities then part ways with a "Nice to see you in Provo!"

It's not like I've never had a conversation like this before. Growing up the sixth sibling in ten years to go through the same public school system people often asked if I was a Lee. I just haven't heard it since I came to college so it was a little surreal. Kind of like de ja vu, but not really.

So, what gives it away? Good looks? Amazing athleticism? Killer charm? Humility? I know, I know, I'm not that dense. I'm fully aware that 5/8 of us are tall, skinny redheads with big mouths that stick out more than an albino at a Black Student Union meeting. But I can dream, can't I? It's not always flattering to be told I look like boys. Yeah, I know they don't mean to say that I look like I am a boy, but that's what it sounds like when they say "you look like your brother(s)." No offense, guys.

That's my story. Time to get to writing things I get a grade for.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh... dear Sadie... I love it! Best entry, yet. Someone randomly asked me if I was a 'LEE' a couple of weeks ago. It was VERY random. Don't even remember where it was. Caught me off guard, big time. Ugh.. now it's bugging me that I can't remember who it was! Anyway, good job. I enjoy reading your entries. BTW, are you calling the blonde fat? HAHA.. j/k

Gatten Gang said...

You are a good writer Sadie..maybe you shoud go into journalism..I'd read your articles! Aunt J

Brynne said...

You are hilarious! You could look at it flip-flopped. Maybe your brothers look like girls. :) ha. You are beautiful no matter which way it goes! And by the way, I get that a lot STILL about being a Gatten. For us, I don't know...maybe the hefty genes, squinty eyes and button noses?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...